St. John's-Grace Episcopal Church - Table of Contents
John's -Grace Episcopal Church - Exterior
51 Colonial Circle at Bidwell Pkwy. and Lafayette Ave.
Buffalo, New York
|St. John's Episcopal Church
the third Episcopal congregation in Buffalo.
|Two previous church locations:||
|Current, third church built:
In 1971, St. John's and Grace Church merged and the church name was changed.
Grosvenor Goodhue Assoc. (Goodhue died in 1924)
Perpendicular Gothic with Art Deco elements.
petitions by home owners, Bidwell Place was renamed Colonial Circle in
1909 by the Parks Commission. (Research by Central Library
James Napora, History of Richmond/Elmwood Area
Elmwood West Historic District Nomination
|Facade (west elevation)
Cornerstone of original church built when St. John's abandoned downtown site at Washington & Swan.
St. John's Day 1892": There is a St. John's Street south of First Presbyterian Church on Symphony Circle. That was to be the original site for the new church; however, the congregation later decided to move to the "suburbs."
This photo shows the chapel extended outward toward Bidwell.
A frontal view show the relationship of the newer addition to the oldest building, now the Parish Hall.
St. John the Evangelist influences much of the art and furnishings of the interior space. This is a statue of St. John on the steeple. ... Onondaga limestone from Granger Quarry in Delaware Park
The steeple cross bottany has no known history.
The bell tower houses a bell that once rang at the downtown site.
Close-up of St. John the Evangelist
At his feet, To Kata Ioannen, "According to John"
The main entrance is inscribed with the opening words of the Gospel according to St. John: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God"
Art Deco bas-relief eagle above main entrance
|South elevation facing Lafayette
Memorial Cross on the wall of the parish hall which was the original entrance into the church.
Current entrance into the Parish Hall from Lafayette Ave.
Note dripstones with label stops over crowning lancet windows
Red Parish Hall entrance in relation to the current church building
|North elevation facing Bidwell
View of the chapel side of the church showing bell gable. ... Note upper clerestory windows.
A chapel window nearest the front of the church
and their arrangement ?2002 Chuck
..| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..
web site consulting by ingenious, inc.