History of Cold Springs
Buffalo, NY
Centers on Michigan Avenue close to the intersection of Main Street and East Utica Avenue

By James Napora
The text below is reprinted with permission from
"Houses of Worship: A Guide to the Religious Architecture of Buffalo, New York," by James Napora. Pp. 214-215. Master of Architecture Thesis. Found at Buffalo Central Library NA5235 B8 N37 1995

Click on map for larger view

The designation Cold Springs recalls one of the first settlements in the area. During the early 1800s, this section of the city existed as an isolated hamlet surrounded by forests.

Cold Spring Tavern: Connected to Buffalo by the Central Trail (Main Street), the primary road to Albany, the area was home to a tavern as early as 1808. Operated by Major Frederick Miller, the Cold Spring Tavern was located on the what is today the southeast corner of Main and East Ferry Street.

Jubilee Spring: In the basement of the tavern, a branch of the Jubilee Spring further west, provided a source of fresh water. A second branch of the spring existed on Purdy Street.Attracted by the availability of fresh drinking water, a small group of people settled in the area.

The spring constituted an important strategic point during theWar of 1812, serving as a command post. Later it served travelers carrying goods between Buffalo and Albany as well as the scattered residents of the area. By 1830, a German brewery was operating in the area, taking advantage of the fresh water provided by the spring.

The spring operated unchanged until 1890 when the construction of the Bird Avenue sewers permanently altered the course of the water.

Three Germans originally owned the majority of the property in the area.

By 1870, the area became home to a large population of working class people. Although predominantly German, the area was oncehome to a the city's Norwegian, Swedish and Danish population.They built their frame homes along the streets of the area.

Further south, along northern Ellicott, Northampton and Southampton Streets, wealthy German businessmen constructed more substantial homes, many of which still remain. As the populationof the city increased in the 1890s, the original German settlers were joined by a large number of Irish who were moving from their original First ward neighborhood.

See also: History of Neighborhoods in Buffalo, New York - Links
Page by Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index....|.. E-Mail ...| ..